In 2008, I was interviewed by Bonjour Events for Dinner Party tips. Here is part one. Two and three, coming soon.
Prepping for a dinner party is never an easy task. We asked dinner hostess Cindy Zuccarino of Ciao Tavola: What are five things every hostess can do to feel more prepared for her next dinner party?
* When creating your guest list, consider who you are inviting…make sure there are not underlying problems. If you know there will be a couple/people who do not know the other guests, think ahead for a common thread. It is up to the hostess to make sure everyone feels included.
* Try to come up with a general menu at least a week ahead of time.
* Learn from your mistakes! If something did not work before (food, people, conversation), do not do it again.
* Create a general “to do” list. Try to think of everything, especially things that don’t have to do with the food like reserving the babysitter, taking the dogs to the kennel, etc.
* Make a mental note of a rough time-table for the evening…how long will cocktails take, at what time should the guests be seated, etc.
And most importantly, be flexible, relax, and always have a good sense of humor!